Tuesday 2 August 2011

The Songs Have Been Sung, Goodbye 360

So U2's 360 Tour is over.  For me it's been a memorable three summers in the UK, Ireland, France, Germany and Canada.  Great times with friends, amazing sights seen, fab food eaten, copious amounts of wine and champagne drunk, lots of laughs had.  Shows that were all good, but a few that had that special U2 magic that touched me deep inside and  created an intimacy that made a stadium like a small club.

28 years of being a fan has seen all kinds of changes in my life, but the band's music has always been there, often in the background, but there.  My views on U2 have varied too, and sometimes I've been close to divorcing them!  They may or may not be past their glory days of musical creativity, but they are still a damn side better than most and have been for 34 years.  Bono has said, "Live is where we live."  And there is no doubt in my mind that is true.  Live, they are simply brilliant.  And I'm not talking about the massive Claw this time round, as lovely as the effects were, the set doesn't really matter to me. I'm talking about them as musicians, performers and friends.  There is something about them playing live that is totally captivating - and very hard to put into words because it's something you feel, a spirituality.  I'm not being very articulate here, but other fans will know what I mean, right?

Here's a video of the last song, 40, from the last show of this tour in Moncton, Canada.   I'm not ashamed to say it made me cry, and it was the perfect ending to the tour.  God willing (well both the band and long time fans like me are getting on a bit now!)  in a little while we'll be on the road again.

No comments:

Post a Comment