Monday 25 March 2013

Friends

I had a lovely weekend with school friend Marian. She now lives in southern England so we don't see each other that often, but when we do it's as if we've never been apart.  And that's a sign of true friendship, you don't have to live in each other's pockets, don't have to live close by. For many of the years I've known Marian there weren't emails, Skype or texts, but we still remained friends, and now in these days of the Big Idea (U2ers will recognise that lol!) it is so much easier to stay in touch.

She is having a difficult time at the moment and needed the break here. We had a fabulous facial at High Head Spa which was pure bliss! On Saturday we went out for a meal at The Plough in Wreay and another school friend, CJ (my best friend and as near to a sister as I have) joined us.  It was a lovely evening, we laughed, reminisced, even got CJ to pose for a group photo (no mean feat!) and couldn't believe how many years had passed since those school days.  We've got big birthdays this year and it's so strange that you don't feel your chronological age inside, though sometimes your body let's you know lol!

We've all been through difficult times, and have been there for each other.  I haven't got a big family but I am lucky to have wonderful friends. Both long time ones like Marian and CJ, other good pals locally and other fab people I've met through a mutual love for U2 and who have become real friends of long-standing too. My next visitor will be Debbi one of those good friends I got to know over 20 years ago through U2. We are both are quite "sensible" most of the time, but like to be spontaneous every now and then and and we've shared some amazing adventures over the years and I'm sure there are more to come!

So, in this post I'm celebrating that special thing, friendship. Friendship isn't an accident of birth, friends choose you and you choose them. Some are lifelong, some peter out, some change as we make our way through our lives.  Different friendships play different roles in your life, but they are all special in their own way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment