Saturday 29 October 2011

Keez Bistro, Carlisle - Review

Address
Cecil Street, Carlisle

Cuisine
European

Ambiance
Located in the cellars of a Victorian building, lots of nooks and crannies with natural and white painted brick walls and modern decor. Plenty of room between tables, comfortable chairs.  Very relaxing feel to the place and excellent piped music (U2, The Killers, Van Morrison....)

General
For my starter I had goat's cheese, with mushroom, wilted spinach and pine nuts.  It was absolutely wonderful and the herby bread provided was a delightful accompaniment.  My friend had the homemade pea and smoked salmon tart with dill creme fraiche and she thought that was excellent.

For the main I had pan seared duck breast with sweet pumpkin and sugar snap peas.  The duck was perfectly cooked with a hint of pink and very tender.  Pumpkin is an under used vegetable in the UK so it was a nice change, and it was very good - though I had to pick bits of red chili out of it as I'm not a fan of the hot stuff!

I nearly had chocolate chip cheesecake with mint ice cream for dessert, but I resisted!  Aren't I getting good?

Service was good and attentive, though waits were quite long, the comfortable ambiance of the place meant I didn't mind and it gave my friend and I time to have a good natter!  I was surprised that there was only one choice of red wine by the glass, surprising for a restaurant like that, not everyone wants to buy a whole bottle and more of a choice by the glass would have been good.  I was also surprised that they did not serve cappuccino, the only coffee available was a cafetiere.  But those things did not spoil what was a fabulous meal out.

Price
Expensive.  But during the week the restaurant has reasonable special deals.

Northern Star Rating
Ambiance ****   Food ****

No comments:

Post a Comment