Saturday 20 August 2011

Summer Days

Had lovely day today.  Firstly I went out with the boys to High Stand, a small forest just outside of the city.  We had a relaxing walk there, Pepsi seemingly aiming for the middle of the few muddy puddles there were whilst Max, like a male diva, tip-pawing around the edge of them.  We met a few other dog walkers, one spaniel was soaked from head to paw - obviously it had been having fun in one of the ponds!  It was one of those perfect late summer days, 21c (my ideal temperature), the birds singing, the gentle rustling of leaves, nature full and fertile with summer goodness and that kind of lazy stillness that hangs in the air on such days.

After that we went to a couple of places to pick brambles which I will be making jam with. But the brambles were late ripening and I didn't get very many, I'll have to go back in a week or two.  I remember that loads of people went brambling when I was young, if you found a place with an abundance of them you kept quiet about it.  Now I rarely see anyone else picking the fruit.  Shame really, the berries are delicious, very good for you and free.

Back in the city I popped in at a friends house and had a cuppa and chat.  On my way home it started to rain and the temperature fell to 17c, English weather!  It's never boring, that's for sure.  But it had been a good day, sometimes the simplest things are the best aren't they?

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lovely day Sue. What are brambles ...some sort of berry? We used to pick strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and cherries when we were kids. And your right, you never hear of kids picking berries these days!And yes, it is the simple pleasures that make life enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brambles are blackberries Barb. The jam (jelly to you I think) you make from the fruit is so much nicer than the bought stuff.

    ReplyDelete